Wednesday 15 December 2010

Review - Suki and Me Artisan Chocolates and More

It is no secret that I enjoy a bit of chocolate now and again - perhaps too much and too often, but I am working on that one! The Hubstacle and I have been members of various chocolate tasting clubs but as we are not keen on alcohol and chocolate together, most of the box would go to waste.

We discovered a lovely new company called Suki and Me who are based in London's W1 .

Whoa! I hear you shout, that postcode alone means a high price tag. Well for what I had, it was well worth it indeed and I love trying new things.

Suki and Me is a new set-up and run totally and utterly by a lovely lady called Sarah and there is nothing that is too much trouble for her.

I ordered a selection box, I gave her the budget (£20) and I had a huge Fondant Fancy, Peanut Butter Cups, Rocky Road, and a bar of hand-tempered milk chocolate.

At this time you can only pay via paypal or bank transfer, but anyone with a small business and who is just starting out will know how expensive it is to get the equipment for card payments. However, this was certainly not an issue.

My order arrived in good time and the postman was nearly mugged that morning! The parcel was very well wrapped and the chocolates were presented beautifully in a lovely box and tissue paper. There is a hand-deliver/courier option for the London area, mine were posted first class.

I had originally ordered the selection for the Hubstacle and I to enjoy ourselves (i.e no kids!) at Christmas. Sarah advised me that the fondant needed to be eaten sooner rather than later, the rocky road and peanut butter cups could be frozen and the bar was fine to be left longer.

Of course because we are impulsive, we needed no excuse to have a tasting evening one night, and I was not disappointed.

The Fondant Fancy was large and could easily be sliced into 4, the sponge was lovely and light, the marzipan creamy and the icing utterly gorgeous. It was decorated so nicely and glittered on top. The Hubstacle is not fond of marzipan, but I was not going to complain about that and I ate half (on reflection probably not the best idea I have had!).

The Peanut Butter cups were dinky little things, but again one was enough to have. The chocolate on top was smooth as silk and the peanut butter bottom was deliciously crumbly, but held together.

The bar of milk, hand-tempered chocolate was a delight to look at as the decoration on top was beautiful. This valrhona chocolate was heaven to eat and nothing like you will ever taste from the high street. I never believed people when they told me that if the chocolate is of good quality, you will never go back to 'normal stuff' and if I had the money this would be very true indeed!

Finally - Rocky Road; this was truly my most favourite. It had amaretti biscuit, dark glace cherries, nuts and a fantastic ratio of chocolate. Every bite was a taste explosion and the sensation between soft, chewy and crumbly was just perfect - I loved it so much that I had 2 pieces!

You can see that Sarah takes enormous pride in her products, she works very hard and the results speak for themselves. We had our box as a (nearly) Christmas treat to ourselves and we would certainly buy them again (am already thinking valentines day hubby!).

Have a look at the website - http://www.sukiandme.com/, Sarah also supplies for special events such as weddings or corporate functions but even working to this scale does not distract from the attention she gives to individual customers. I recommend Suki and Me for the times when extra special treats are required!

Disclosure - I purchased a selection box to the value of £20.00

No comments:

Post a Comment