Friday 31 December 2010

New Year, New Start, New You

At a time when everyone is thinking about the new year which is about to be chimed in, I bet quite a few are thinking what changes they can make. It might be to save some money, to lose some weight, to give to a charity, to start volunteering, to help around the house more or just even to be nicer.

Whatever these changes are, I wish you the very best of luck with them. For me personally it is to carry on in my weight-loss journey and to up my activity levels, this in itself will be life-changing.

Some may say that this is a common new years resolution, which can only end in failure (yes lots do!), but I am different in a couple of ways. The first is that, I am already on track with losing weight and I want it to continue, this is determination enough to carry on and not look back.

The other reason is totally and utterly different. A number of years ago, my wish for new year was that I wouldn't be beaten up, mentally and emotionally tortured by my, then, partner ever again. For many years this wish did not come true until I had the courage to make changes in my life that started me walking the path of a fear free existence.

You see, you might think that resolutions at this time of year are just futile, that nothing you can do can ever make the changes you want. Whatever it is that you want altering, those first few changes, those first few steps are undoubtedly the hardest, but it does get easier and as your life alters you do get happier and more able to cope with the obstacles life throws at you.

When I started writing this blog today, I wasn't sure what I was going to write about. I wanted it to be light-hearted and funny but in the end I suppose that I just want send the message that no matter how difficult your journey in life may be, you can make changes that will improve things. Even the things like smiling more will lift your mood, losing that bit of extra weight will improve your lifestyle or perhaps volunteering, which will give something back to the community.

If you have a life like my old one or you have changes to make that you are frightened of, don't be scared, if you do them perhaps this time next year you will be somewhere near the happiness you want.

Happy New Year everyone, let's hope 2011 is good to us all. X

No comments:

Post a Comment