Tuesday 21 December 2010

Men In Tights

Today has been a bit of a disaster. I wrapped myself up, de-iced the car, had list, purse, re-useable bags, sanity (just) and off I went to do the Christmas food shopping. I got to the end of the farm track and then the car decided that it would not go one little bit further. I tried everything, the engine was willing but the rest was not up to the job (sounds strangely familiar in another context).

It seems 'ones gearbox has gorn', can you bloomin' believe it? So I had to trek to half a mile, in snow up to my neck (small lie - up to my knees) to get the loader to tow the car back down.

Luckily the car is under warranty, so we have been assured that it will be collected and taken to the garage tomorrow and a hire car will be with us in the afternoon. Hmmmm, this I am just not so sure about.

Considering we have had only 3 deliveries of post over the past 4 weeks, all courier companies say they are not delivering to our postcode, I have an awful feeling that it is just not going to happen.

Luckily we have a very good friend who will lend us his car to go and get supplies if we need (yes we flipping will if the hire car doesn't turn up). It also scuppers lots of other plans because we are due at my MIL's for the 27th and the dog is meant to go to kennels for a couple of days, and they are even more remote than us!.

But I have digressed completely from the title subject of this post 'Men In Tights'.

The Hubstacle told me - a long time ago - and before I married him, that he used to wear ladies tights. Luckily he told me the context in which they were worn - he was in the riot squad for a while and it involved a lot of sitting about, in the cold, so layers of ladies tights kept you toasty warm! I can empathise, having had to do shifts in the past and you do need all the warmth you can get!

However, today, when all this crisis with the car was going on, The Hubstacle was making phone calls and had stripped off his 'farm' clothes (they smell of pigs and bullocks - I said bullocks) and he was standing there in his thermal underwear.

I thought the long johns looked a bit strange and I remember thinking that they couldn't already be losing their shape - but then, as you do, you forget about it.

Hubby puts all his 'farm' clothes in for a wash, then dry and a bit later I go and get them. Imagine my amusement - and hysterics - when I realise that he has been trying to fend off the freezing temperatures all morning, dressed in my leggings!

I was laughing so much that I couldn't actually tell him for ages, just wave them about at him.

All he could say was 'I thought my bottom half was cold'.

He assures me that this was an honest mistake - However, I am going to keep a close eye on my knicker drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment