Monday 13 December 2010

Credit Where Credit Is Due

We all love to complain sometimes don't we? Especially when its to big corporations, Government Agencies or anyone 'official'. Lets be honest we also like to complain if we might get something for free as well!

Last year Rhino turned 1, it was a big milestone for us as when he was born he took us totally by surprise and was premature (not that you would know it now mind you!).

I ordered all of his presents from the Early Learning Centre (in good time) and they did not arrive. To cut a long story short, I had to write numerous emails, letters and make loads of telephone call before I eventually discovered the name of the head chap. I wrote directly to him, included a dossier of all my correspondence and sent it special delivery.

He was on the phone to me the morning he got the letter, we got a full refund and the whole order of toys for free. Now, of course I feel really happy that we got the toys for free (who wouldn't?!) and yes I agree that where shoddy service occurs, customer faith needs to be restored.

I did have to go to quite a bit of trouble, but my letters and phone calls were always polite (but firm!) as jumping up and down does certainly not get you anywhere fast (I speak from experience here!).

However, the point to this waffle is that we have to make sure we reward people for excellent service. Today, after standing in the Asda Post Office queue for 25 minutes, I finally got served. The lady behind the counter was cheery, good humoured and very nice indeed. I had a few parcels to send, lots of stamps to buy and as the post box was full, lots of stamps to stick too!

She helped me stick the stamps, she waited patiently whilst I addressed two of the packages (I had to buy the large envelopes first) and she chatted to Aardvark who was sitting on the counter eyeing up all of the 'stickers' (stamps!) and was really lovely to deal with.

Normally, and especially at this time of year I feel under pressure at the counter, rushed and the staff can be very curt. I have not experienced this at all during this visit.

I am going to contact them and let them know how well they did today. It's tough, no matter what your business size, when all the feedback you ever get is negative. It must be so demoralising when the only time you get contacted is for someone to complain.

So I am going to spread a little cheer and give those who deserve it a lovely, apprciative, pat on the back!

No comments:

Post a Comment