Saturday 11 December 2010

Birthday Blues

Aardvark and Rhino went to their first birthday party today and they absolutely had a ball. I wondered how a party for a 2 year old, with guests of varying ages was going to work but the key was to keep it simple, simple, simple.

The children just wanted to play and there were lots of ride on toys, pop up tents and toys for them to play with. We had a game of pass the parcel, each child got a turn to unwrap the parcel and Aardvark was very gracious at passing the darn thing even when I could tell she wanted to rip all the paper off herself!

The children sat down to eat, which was a great idea, all too many times I have seen kids running about with food. Not only is it more dangerous but it ends up everywhere and there is loads more cleaning to be done (not my most favourite thing!). Aardvark and Rhino had the most splendid table manners and I don't think I really appreciated just how well behaved they are (even at 1 and 2) until today. Most of the other kids were having tantrums, jumping up and down on the chairs, throwing food about, smearing it all over the place and generally behaving badly.

I had to hand it to the birthday child's mother, she did a great job with the food and even made a cake in the shape of a Balamory character! Us parents were all treated to a CD full of cBeebies theme tunes (as if we don't get enough of those during the daylight hours!). I am sure the host did it on purpose!

Again (see one of my previous posts this month about the wedding), the host mummy (crikey that sounds rather Ridley Scott!) said that she was really cross that some people had just rsvp'd in the positive to the invite, but then didn't turn up, or contact her to say they would not be coming.

Does anyone else find this kind of behaviour unacceptable? It's damn rude in my opinion and people should really be ashamed of themselves. You may think its no big deal as its only a toddlers birthday.

Yes the child had a lovely time and wouldn't have had a scooby do if little bobby wasn't there. BUT host mummy has spent time, effort and money on the food, balloons, party bags and the organisation of the whole thing.

What a disgrace and it teaches children that you can let people down at the important events in their lives as if they mean nothing. I am not going to bring my children up like that.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with u more about that, I have that happen to me before at my daughters Party and I had to Pay for the child anyway as it was cost per head for a child. Bit only about Money it's the effort u put in As a parent- I think totally rude.

    It's really great yr children are really well behaved when they are out, it shows how well you have done as a parent and I feel the same way about my kids. U really notice when a child says please or thank u without beIng prompted.
    Give yourself a pat on the back! It doesn't happen very much in this job!

    ReplyDelete