Saturday 21 July 2012

Lazy or Just Unskilled?

So, earlier today I posed on FaceBook, the question 'Is it lack of knowledge and skill behind the reason why people say they can't cook good, healthy, cheap meals?' My panel of experts - well the people who answered - seemed to be very much of the opinion that it was either the way people had been raised or that they were actually just plain lazy. I was talking to the hustacle about this evening and I think that nowadays we have pretty much whatever we want, whenever we want it, its almost expected and we seem to have a need for instant gratification. I learned how to cook, not gourmet meals by the way - from ever since I can remember by my Nan. My grandad taught me the basics of gardening (which I still find a challenge!)I could mend a hem, darn a sock and do basic diy. These were all skills that were passed down to me and as the years have gone on I have added to my knowledge by learning things myself and from others. Although we all think about money nowadays when we budget our family finances, some of us are still buying convenience foods, takeaways and spending a heck of alot more than we need to but why? I appreciate that most 21st century people are busy, working and bringing up families - it is exhausting - I know that and I have even been heard to say 'can't be bothered to cook, lets get a takeaway', but this is a choice - for some they seem to choose these options because its too much like hard work to cook a meal or genuinely they dont have the first idea of how to shop for, prepare or cook a meal from basic ingredients. So, are we losing skills because they are just getting lost as each generation passes? or are we becoming a nation of unskilled who will starve to death if all convenience was taken away?

No comments:

Post a Comment