Saturday 28 July 2012

Herman - The German Friendship Cake

Just over a week ago, a friend of mine handed me a small plastic container, filled with what looked like pancake batter. On opening it, it smelled like slightly yeasty - sour milk. She went on to tell me that his name was Herman and I had to follow the instructions for the next 10 days. Herman is a sough dough starter mix, as I understand it, it is from the Amish community and was circulated to sick people. I would imagine to bulk them up - this cake is not for those who are looking to lose weight!
On getting him home, I placed him in a large bowl and covered him up. The instructions were as follows. Herman – The German Friendship Cake These are instructions for when you receive your batch of cake starter – which will resemble a thick batter. My name is Herman and I am a sour dough cake and I need to be kept on your work top for ten days without a lid on. I will die if you put me in the fridge! If I stop bubbling I am dead. Day One – You get Herman today Take the lid off him Place him in a mixing bowl capable of holding 2 litres Cover him with a tea towel Day Two – Stir well Day 3 – Stir well Day 4 – Herman is hungry! Add the following ingredients 115g/4oz plain flour 225g/8oz granulated sugar 235ml/8floz milk Stir well and cover again Day 5 – Stir well Day 6 – Stir well Day 7 – Stir well Day 8 – Stir well Day 9 – Herman is hungry again! Add the same ingredients as Day 4 Divide into 4 equal portions, along with a copy of these instructions and pass on to a good friend Remember to keep a batch if you want to start a ‘Herman 2’. Herman 1 stays with you and is ready to be baked. Day 10 – Herman is starving! Stir well and add the following ingredients 225g/8oz plain flour ½ tsp salt 225g/8oz caster sugar 160ml vegetable or sunflower oil 2 eggs 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks 2tsp vanilla essence 100g walnuts or almonds (optional) 2 heaped tsp cinnamon 200g raisins or sultanas (optional) 2 heaped tsp baking powder Mix everything together and place in a large, greased roasting tin 12x8’’ Or place in x2, 2lb loaf tins, preferably lined. Sprinkle with 50g brown sugar and 50g melted butter Bake for 45+ minutes at 175C/350F/Gas Mark 4 Check after 25 minutes – he may be ready Allow him to cool and then cut him into fingers, delicious with cream, ice cream or on his own He can be frozen This recipe is the traditional one but there are variations on what you can do with the mix on Day 10.
I managed to look forward to seeing how Herman was getting on each morning and finally, I got to Day 9, portioned him up - kept another for myself to start Herman 2 and then asked if anyone wanted one. Within a very short space of time, my remaining portions had been given out and I realised that if I wanted to constantly keep Herman on the go, I would have to find people to give portions away every 9 days! Mind you I don't think that will be a problem, and if it was my researching came up with some very tasty bread recipes and we love our bread in this house. So, I followed this traditional recipe to the dot - in hindsight I will split the ready to bake version in to 2 2lb loaf tins as it was quite difficult to get out of the massive tin in one go. The cake was gorgeous, and if I am honest, it was even better a day old. Why I have never heard of this before, I have no idea. I now have another portion on the go and would like to try a pear and chocolate one and also make some sourdough bread.
Give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment