Wednesday 1 January 2014

Week 4, 22nd - 29th December 2013

22nd December - It's the simple things that have the most effect. I was worried when starting this experiment that I would be tempted to throw money and materialistic things at it rather than try and take the time and effort in thinking of things to do every day. All that happened today was that I made the effort to email someone I know. I was on the computer anyway and rather than just log off, I picked out a person from my contacts list at random and sent them an email and picture of the family. They responded a few hours later telling me that it had made their day to hear from me. How lovely!
23rd December - Had a lovely afternoon today with friends over. The kids played wonderfully together and the adults put the world to rights with good food and drink! Then the call came, 'Help, we haven't got any heat or hot water, the engineer can't come until tomorrow and its blowing a freezing hoolie - what shall we do?' Off we go and deliver our free-standing radiators!
24th December - For some, spending time on their own is a luxury. I am sure some of you will understand - all day you get tugged in numerous directions, there is a never ending list of things to do and people to see. The only solitude you get is on the loo - and only then if you are lucky (I say this because for me there is usually a small person knocking at the door asking what I am doing!. So when we do eventually get some time to ourselves we consider it a bit of a treat. However, have you ever considered what it would be like to be in a permenant state of solitude? Sure for a while we would cope but by the very nature of our species, we are social creatures, we do need contact with other people, no matter how small that contact might be. I know I have always avoided asking the question 'how are you' to certain people, mainly because I know that I will have to listen to them drone on for the next hour or until I break off the one-sided conversation with some fictional appointment I have to attend. For that reason I all of a sudden felt quite guilty. I realised that I might have been the only person they were likely to speak to that day and I dismissed them so easily. I am going to try not to do that again. The mole man (mammal no annoying blemish) came today to check the traps, from experience I usually wave cheerily from the window and don't venture outside until his van is gone. Today I went out and had a good old chat with him - it felt nice.
25th December - No Social media was to take up my time in any way shape or form. It was interesting to read back a few days later the posts people had made, not being able to stay away from FaceBook, Twitter etc for even one day.
26th December - I text a friend of mine a smile, they cost nothing (I have free texts you know!).
27th December - Yes I know tickets are not transferrable, but I threw caution to the wind and left my paid ticket stuck on the machine for someone else to make use of. It would normally be thrown in to the foot-well of the car!
28th December - Friends have moved away - not a million miles but it does take a bit of planning to make arrangement to go and see them. It shouldn't seem like an effort to see friends should it? But sometimes life and stuff gets in the way and before you know it weeks, if not months have passed and you still haven't got together like you both declared during the pinky promise ceremony 6 months ago! Trouble is I get so busy that when I do have a window of opportunity, I usually collapse on a sofa. I think I ought to change that if I can. We had a great afternoon and I really wished we could have stayed longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment